Home > Animal Abuse, Antivivisection, Companion Animals > Cats Tormented and Killed in UW Madison Lab – PETA Exposure

Cats Tormented and Killed in UW Madison Lab – PETA Exposure

September 12, 2012

Cats Tormented and Killed in University Lab

For decades, countless cats have been imprisoned, cut into, and killed in cruel and useless “sound localization” experiments at the University of Wisconsin–Madison (UW).

When PETA learned that UW experimenters took photographs to document this abuse, we demanded that the school release the photos. Knowing that the public would be outraged if the truth came out, UW fought to keep its cruelty a secret for more than three years, but a successful PETA lawsuit compelled the university to release the images. PETA has now obtained dozens of disturbing never-before-seen photographs showing the miserable life and death of a beautiful orange tabby cat named Double Trouble, who was tormented for months in these experiments.

According to records obtained by PETA, Double Trouble was subjected to several invasive surgeries on her eyes, ears, and brain. In the first operation, steel coils were implanted into her eyes and a stainless steel post was screwed into her skull so that her head could be immobilized during experiments. In the next surgery—which is depicted in the photographs—Double Trouble had holes drilled into her skull so that electrodes could be inserted in her brain. Experimenters then applied a toxic substance to her inner ears to deafen her and electrical implants were placed deep inside both of her ears.

Read full story at http://www.peta.org/features/uw-madison-cruelty.aspx

Read even more – who is doing this work at UW? PETA Exposes a Bit of Cruelty at UW Madison – More Details

COME JOIN THE PROTEST
When: Tuesday, September 18, 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Where: Library Mall at UW-Madison, at the corner of State St. and Lake St., Madison
Contact: Me, Lauren Stroyeck at LaurenS@peta.org, by phone at 757-962-8205

About these ads
  1. September 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm | #1

I am disgusted and violently sick to my stomach. The head of the Vet Med Dept, along with all others who knew INCLUDING STUDENTS, should resign. Most should be arrested. If this was done outside of a university people would be going to jail. I’m sick of labs and scientist trying to “discover” something or “better” something and yet have absolutely no conscious or care about those that are in pain from what they do. The hypocrisy of people in these fields in staggering! I am beyond disgusted.

• Kyle
      September 13, 2012 at 11:54 am | #2

>I’m sick of labs and scientist trying to “discover” something or “better” something
      You mean like helping deaf kids hear?

“Sandgren says the “research that was done on the cats is what helped allow this human boy (in the video) to hear. That’s part of the story. And that’s why I think this is a one-sided tactic by PETA that leaves out a good part of the story about how this research has helped people.”

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/education/campus_connection/campus-connection-peta-calls-for-inquiry-into-uw-madison-study/article_b5696588-fd30-11e1-a414-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz26MyXYcWR

• ken
        September 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm | #3

Then how about YOU go volunteer for these experiments. I feel bad for any child who can’t hear, but if he could what do you think he would say hearing the animals screaming. Actually you know what, inhumane treatment of animals is no excuse anymore! They need to find another way.

• Annette
      September 13, 2012 at 9:56 pm | #4

I am sick too. When I first saw the photos I went into shock at the extreme animal cruelty. Cochlear implants have been used successfully for years and years. These people are sick and NO GOOD CAN COME FROM THIS TYPE OF RESEARCH. Even if it could, this type of extreme animal abuse could never ever be justifed.

• ken
        September 14, 2012 at 10:41 am | #5

I heard there was a protest in Wi. I wish I was there. Oh btw being deaf is NOT a death sentence. There are so many things that can be done without cruelty. These scientist have no morality. They lose it the moment they choose to ask if they can do something and Never if they Should. Their goal is to “discover or create or fix” something, at all cost. Not all of them by any means, but so many of them it would make you sick.

2. September 13, 2012 at 8:31 am | #6

This is absolutely disgusting! I am appalled! Every single one of these people should be jailed!! What a horrible thing to do to one of God’s creations. This kind of experimentation is just gross and absolutely unnecessary.

• ken
      September 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm | #7

THATS RIGHT!

3. KT
    September 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm | #8

For anyone who wants to know, the lead “researcher” is Tom Yin and here is his UW web page: http://neuro.wisc.edu/faculty/yin.asp

4. Jacob
    December 7, 2012 at 12:33 pm | #9

I just learned about Double Trouble today and Wisconsin Madison is an abomination. How can these evil people sleep at night. I have an orange tabby and let me tell you they are the sweetest cats. What Wisconsin is doing is equivalent to taking the nicest person in the room and then torturing them. I will never ever visit Wisconsin and if this was my school I would be ashamed. Please email the chancellor, provost and others I found online and beg for this to stop: chancellor@news.wisc.edu, WAA@uwalumni.com, uwf@supportuw.org, provost@provost.wisc.edu

5. Sheela
    March 7, 2013 at 8:49 am | #10

This really sickens me, I can’t believe what I saw. How is this possible that the University is allowing this to happen. This is what they call “higher education”? They are no better then the Chinese and what they are doing to animals. The people involved with this should be arrested, charged and thrown in jail and should be tortured themselves by the inmates for cruelty to innocent creatures who can’t voice. Why is the government not doing anything about this and allowing this to happen? UW Madison should be exposed to the world for this so no one applies to study at this insane cruel university. They are a disgrace to higher education. This is not China.

6. Amy
    March 9, 2013 at 1:41 am | #11

I think that Kyle needs to pay attention to how long these experiments have been going on. I’m sorry but, this did not start just recently because of a little boy and his hearing. This started decades ago at this university! So Kyle, I’m sorry but, you can think what you want. There’s so much dang technology out there these days that no one needs to be digging into cats skulls and putting poison in there ears to make them go deaf. Now how does that make sense to make a cat go deaf if they are trying to help a deaf person? Doesn’t add up and I could give a crap what anyone has to say. NO animal should have to go through this! EVER!

7. Ian
    March 31, 2013 at 3:49 pm | #12

You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals. – Gandhi

Mankind’s true moral test, its fundamental test,which lies deeply buried from view, consists of its attitude towards those who are at its
    mercy: animals.~Milan Kundera (1929-) ,The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1984) pt 7 ch.2
    What does it say about American society and its so called “scientist”. You are abomination on the face of the earth. If you want to experiment, practice on your children and yourself. No one should go through this, but you should. You will be judged by the GOD. What you have done to those poor animals will come around and dejavu in internal hell for you.

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 86 other followers